Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Day 32

My girls left today.

I feel like I didn't connect with them enough mostly because I didn't learn enough language.

I dodged church. Thanks be. I have no desire to introduce myself or get all sorta fancy and have everyone talk to me about God. Sorry God. Nothing personal.

Killed another chicken today except this time I didn't watch the slaughtering, but I watched the way it was butchered. Oh my God. I can't eat meat ever again. I just can not deal with associating my food with the animal and when I saw my host mom chopping this chicken up and cracking open its bones with a machete all I could think was yup, not eating that tonight. Also the chicken was so dirty. Like dirt was on the skin and all I could think was ew.

That's one thing I can't handle, dirt and sand or stones in my food. Biting into dirt/sand/ or stone while your eating really takes away any of the pleasure from it.

Well I tried to make them French toast this morning. That was a fail, but my neighbor Paige was successful in making a pancake-ish thing that had cinnamon and bananas in it. I wanted to die it was so good. My boy didn't like it though, which I found so surprising. He's always asking for stuff I'm eating. He was not with the pancake snack.

I thought that he might be into the mashed potatoes I made, I mean I thought the whole family would be, no. They weren't. I put salt, which I never put, but I'm missing spices, and pepper and boiled garlic in the water with the potatoes to give it some nice flavor. I also put blue band which is a margarine spread here in with milk and a little bit of olive oil. Dear heaven they potatoes were so delicious.

My host family was entirely concerned that I put milk in the potatoes and weren't very impressed. Preci didn't try any at all. At lunch the dad said how it was a good meal and well done. He hasn't even tasted it yet and then, he just ended up covering it with beans. Figures.

I told them that mashed potatoes was like their matooke. So I wonder if they hate it as much as I hate matooke, because I'm pretty sure I can't stomach anymore of those bananas. I just can't.

So dinner comes and the chicken which was actually delicious with the potatoes, the chicken I don't eat is served specifically for me for dinner. Now without the mashed potatoes, the chicken tasted like gross over cooked rubbery chicken.

I couldn't eat it. There wasn't anything for dinner I wanted that night. Apparently they noticed.

Told them about leaving for future site visit tomorrow and how I'm nervous to check out my house. The mom was so cute talking that when I come back in a moth or so after my final training, that she would come visit. Next thing you know host dad is like she will visit Tuesday on her way back from Busheni. Whoa. I don't even have a house yet, one and two, I'm pretty sure she's going to be tired so why would she do that.

"No problem."

Whatever.

So then later after we go to bed he tells me how he wants to come with me tomorrow to look at the houses with me. Outside of my room door. What the hell?!? Can this night get creepier?!? I'm just wanting to pack and go to sleep.

Ugh. Ok. Pack. Then sleep.

Oh right. We have rats.

No comments:

Post a Comment