Friday, May 17, 2013

Day 21

It is three weeks today since I've left Buffalo.

All I can think is how weird, yet enjoyable it is to sleep under a mosquito net. Although it has been decided that I'm getting malaria during home stay. That or some other God awful.

The level of hygiene here is beyond bare minimum. I've gotta say besides feeling super safe like I'm playing that game when you're little and the floor is lava so you can't touch it, but your always safe in your wooden bed, besides playing that game with my mosquito net, like nothing can get me while I'm under it, I've gotta say. Shit's rough.

I've already lost a couple pair of underwear to Uganda. The first were to these killer ants that have been trailing in my room from day one. On day three my bright idea self thinks to spray deet. They scatter. So now instead of one thick line of a gajillion ants, now there just are a gajillion ants trying to figure out where they should go. The hell ants. Why are you not dead from this deet? It's so strong!!!

Well I'm dying from inhaling deet and I realize I can't just let these ants scurry about so I look for something to clean them up with. Mind you there are no paper towels or rags or anything, so I get the next best thing, a pair of pantie and I wipe and brush those suckers away.

I guess it's kind of gross when you think about it. Mostly because in the morning there were a gajillion dead ants in the crotch of my underwear.

Yup. Lost those to Uganda. Lost the next pair during my bucket bath where I spilled water all outside in the actual room area, as the wash closet is in the room of the two girls.

So it was wet and I wanted to clean it up. I used my panties from that day. I didn't realize that the cement floor would be muddy. So those panties are full of mud and stones. Not even bothering to try and wash those bad boys.

I basically give up. Oh well. What can I do?

But thankfully there are no marching ants ever since. Thank God for deet and panties.

No comments:

Post a Comment