Friday, May 10, 2013

Day 14

It's been a week and I want to die. Traveling from Kulika to Ibanda and I'm starting to freak out. We meet our home stay parents today and I'm no where near prepared with language.

Not to mention the hole in my dress so of course people will not think I'm 'smart.' Oh well. Stitched it in the most cramped transportation ride for six hours where we were nearly attacked and killed by a killer bumble bee. Thank God for our equator stop that brought the bee to everyone's attention. Otherwise it would have gotten me in my sleep. Unacceptable.

Sleeping in that thing was so difficult. I haven't had difficulty sleeping like that since I was in high school. Usually now I just sleep. Couldn't on this taxi bus thing that smelled like a really strong thrift store.

I can't believe I'm doing this still.

We did see zebras on the way. Is that a reason?

So we get to our training site and we are all sitting there, the host families are waiting for us and it ends up being cake. Everyone speaks English I don't have to bust out any of my language skills thanks be. Everyone is excited to see us, which puts me at ease.

We eat, I'm famished, so I even eat the chicken. People start pairing off with their host families, I had no idea who I belong to or who is lucky enough to get me, then walks in this beautiful woman I swear straight out of Lion King and she looks just as I would imagine an African queen to look. She looks resplendent and absolutely regal with this beautifully patterned matching top and bottom set with her close cut hair and I think it's the strength of her jaw and cheeks mixed with her severely almond shaped eyes that gives her the look of a lioness. You fear her, but you respect her because she looks so powerful and beautiful.

Got me another mom gf.

I'm pretty sure my mouth dropped to the floor. Next thing she's getting this huge introduction and I hear the last name Musunguzi or something ( I don't know the last name now, but did then), and I'm like yes!!! This is my host mom.

Then the reaction. She seemed a bit disappointed when I volunteered myself as hers. I'm not sure it helped that the guy in charge was like oh you guys look the same. Same color. You're sisters. She wasn't looking that impressed.

I found out quickly that my host mom doesn't talk much. She does do a lot though. She brings me water in this Jerry cans that look like they weigh a ton. We had evening tea.

It's weird being foreign and visiting. I don't like all this special treatment.

There was meat tonight. I ate it. I was so scared to, then it wasn't bad. I drank the water too, but knew it was boiled because it tasted like charcoal.

I realize I haven't peed all day. No one showed me where the latrine was either and when I asked about the bathroom, the little girl showed me this jail cell looking thing. I ended up peeing in there after all when i was bucket bathing. It was the longest pee of life. I swear. Austin Powers had nothing on what I did that night.

My net is kin of jank. Hopefully it will be fixed tomorrow.

Bed now. Training at 8:30. Whoop. Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment