Sunday, May 5, 2013

Day 10

Saturday and we are in Kampala. This city is crazy big. Crazy busy. Crazy sketch.

A girl had a necklace yanked off her neck in our group.

People called me mzungu-it means white person in translation, but has come to embody most who are not from Uganda, the foreigners. I am foreign. I hate that word. I spoke in my language today and told a man that my name was Kathryn, not mzungu. He walked away looking quite embarrassed. I told one of the trainers about it and she said I shamed him and good for me. I was quite proud of myself too.

So every group has their clique. I have mine. It's funny because I stick with my Buffalo girls and my little southern belle. Those are my confidants and my like minders. I appreciate them. We separated ourselves from the group we had acquired in Kampala because my Buffalo girl really wanted a lesso. It's a traditional wrap that you wear when coming out of the shower.

So I asked some guy who had I love Uganda stickers who thought I wanted to buy speakers and he told us where to go. We still didn't know where to go, but found ourselves in a textile market. It was great. Meghan was able to fun some beautiful beautiful material. I'm actually a little jealous.

There was a bonfire tonight with trunks of trees that just got pushed further into the fire until they were fully consumed by the flames. It was so cool.

Everyone was drinking and dancing and having a good time. A lot of he staff came and drank with us and mad s'mores for the first time which was awesome. Talked with a few local boys. One loves our friend Brittany who the men in Kampala call cheesecake. Oh Lord. Peter simply told her that he has placed her in a box in his heart. I'm scared there are no air holes in there.

I even made two people cry. Not intentionally, but I feel happy that people feel they can open up to me. I really do. It also helped me to bond with people. Makes me want to do peer support network with the Corps. I love hearing people's problems and thinking I can fix everything. :)

It's late and I'm over being bitten by ants. Yes ants bite here and make you bleed, plus the termites are a bit excessive.

There are tons of bugs here.

No comments:

Post a Comment