Saturday, May 25, 2013

Day 31

Burned my finger today while cooking an American meal over a roaring open fire.

We went to another host families house and made them dinner. They weren't very impressed. It took three hours to cook everything. Guac, mashed potatoes, this bomb red sauce filled with all sorts of veggies and spaghetti with bread and garlic/oil dipping sauce. I was in heaven. It was the first meal I had where I went and got seconds not because I needed to eat more or potentially far starving, but because I wanted to stuff my face with all the goodness.

The family wasn't as impressed as the volunteers although Bernard one of our trainers, he went in on his plate. Loved it and he went up for seconds. He was really impressed with the guac. As was I. I'm going to need to ask Paige how she managed that. So good.

My host mom gave me eggs for breakfast. I avoid eggs. Put them in my bag anyways and now I have three eggs sitting next to me and they smell. Like eggs.

It rained here so badly today. So much that my feet got stuck in the mud and I became concerned that the road had actually been made of quicksand. Luckily my struggles set me loose.

I fear that God has decided he really is over the human race and has decided to break his promise the way it rains here. It's and angry beating rain that sounds like it has some unsettled debt with the earth, so it falls and pounds as hard as it can. And the earth takes a beating. Bleeding mud and dripping it every where as it pools on its face bruised and muddy.

Yeah. We got lucky to not have been caught in the rain today. Yesterday was enough.

I'm ready to be at site. I'm ready for things to happen.

So my girls leave tomorrow for boarding school. I feel terrible as I have nothing to give them and I feel as if I haven't really spent time with them and connected at all.

Another son came today from university in Kampala. He seems nice, but I'm not sure if ill connect with him though either. Maybe I'm just not a connection girl. :/

I don't want to go to church tomorrow, but I fear I may have to. Especially if I don't want to miss saying goodbye to the eldest girl. Ugh. Decisions.

Oh and I ate duck tonight. Tasted like my grandmothers roast.

No comments:

Post a Comment