Monday, May 13, 2013

Day 18

Slaughtered another chicken today.

This was a mzungu chicken though as this meat was very soft from not roaming around freely. Just like that beef that is supposed to be so tender. Yuck. And I thought I was eating organic, but apparently that's what they wanted to buy for the mzungu. Shame really. I would have preferred the African chicken, but my chicken was so good.

I didn't go to church with my family today. I can't tell if they were disappointed or not. I'm not going to want to go next week or the week after that either. Church is big here though and wearing my bracelet I am identified as catholic more than I'd like. My grandma was right. :/

I went into town today with my PCT neighbor Paige. I nearly killed her. We went with her host sister and her/our cousin who apparently was taking us to some lady to help us shop. We were in the bowels of Ibanda. I was ready to be excreted.

The lady we met up with smelled so badly. I feel horrible saying that, but I understand why bathing so often is so big here. I'm grateful for my deodorant. The body odor here sometimes is serious. Whooo!

Well Paige wanted to shop for some new clothes. I could care less and wish I actually would have stayed with my family as they were killing my chicken and cooking it. It would have been nice. Plus my dad was sad to not be able to eat lunch with me... Which brings me to a tangent.

How the hell are all the girls gaining weight here?!? If anything I feel like everyone should be a twig. I rarely eat meat, there goes my protein, and everything else I eat is a starch. Yes. Im a little sick of all these starches. And dare I say it?!? I may not even want potatoes after this place.

Oh dear God what have I said?!!? I take it back. I'll just get some blue band and be good. Mashed potatoes here I come.

But in all seriousness, today I had tea which I am also slightly tired of mostly because having tea is actually sitting down for morning, afternoon, and evening snack. It doesn't necessarily have to involve tea. All I know is that I don't want tea three times a day and when you give it to me at seven and then dinner is at nine, I'm not hungry. Nope. Not a bit.

But anyways, I had tea with a slice of bread and an egg that made me want to throw up again. Dang eggs. Then I had dinner. A couple cigarettes for lunch. It was all good.

I don't need to eat that much. So I don't know how everyone eats so much. Stop trying to match the portions of the Ugandans. They are outputting massive amounts of calories. We are/you are not. So stop. Put the matoke down!!

Anyways. We go into town with the lady. Paige is starting to lose her shit. It's hot, she hasn't eaten, she's feeling faint and we are looking at all this stuff and she doesn't want any of it.

Paige finally finds something and I find a scarf. Why does the lady when I ask her how much it is, wraps it about herself and tells me it's a scarf. I'm different, not stupid. The hell, but don't wear my nearly purchased items!!

So after she's talking to Paige and trying to help Paige. Meanwhile my pre-purchase scarf has been taken hostage and is nestled into the bare smelly armpit of this woman.

I am contemplating my purchase.

After we ran away like a cat in water. The host sister was pretty let down though because apparently the lady cooked for us. We didn't even know we were meeting a lady and I had to get bread home, which I messed up royally anyways from having it in my bag.

Oh well.

Learned some government info from Paul, Charles' brother and did some studies with the kids. It's nice being here. Charles talked to me more tonight. He's a funny guy. I really want to get good at Ruyankore so I can communicate with them more.

Too bad I didn't do my assignment for tomorrow. Yeah. That's real.

Perfect picture of dedication.



No comments:

Post a Comment