Friday, May 31, 2013

Day 36

Last day in Mbarara. Wasn't sure if I was going to look at houses today, but I did!! And I found some really good ones. Completely different than what they had shown me before!

I actually have a space for a kitchen and a bathroom, no hot water tank, but I'm so excited. The sitting room is big and the bedroom is decent. I'm looking forward to furnishing the place!!

We went to a craft market outside of the hotel we stayed in and there is a cowhide end table that I'm already imagining taking back to America with me. How? I haven't yet decided, but it's happening.

They also have a set of wicker chairs there. I can not wait. We also went to the nakumaat which is a huge store with groceries and appliances. Kinda like Walmart. Yeah, but smaller and with less stuff, but you walk in and it feels like America. I've been contemplating buying a washer and a fridge. A stove is already happening, but I would love an oven. Oh boy.

You're going to walk into my house and be transported into America. America in Africa. Pretty excited.

The floors are cement currently, but they may put in tile. They are also looking to fix up the kitchen area and to put a wardrobe in which I'm excited for. I'm not too close to town, but I live in a gated community with about 8 other families and mine is a corner house. My views outside are of a garbage pile and then someone's backyard or yard period.

Oh well. I still love it's guts. I'm ready.

Bought some picture frames for the pictures I want to get printed for my family. I hope they like that. I just didn't know what to get them.

So I arrive home and on the walk after getting off the bus I realize that on the road to our homestead that I don't have my shoes. I left three pairs of shoes on the minibus. A pair of Steve Madden flats, timberland sandals, and my throw around old navy flip flops. So unimpressed with myself. Worst part is that I didn't just forget them as I grabbed the bag from under my seat, but there were two bags, one inside of the other and thinking I ha both, I only grabbed one.

I told my host parents and why were they so cute?!? They got on the phone and started calling boda boda drivers inquiring about the minibus that dropped off the mzungus and how they are going to find my shoes.

I've become resigned to the fact that they are lost forever, but I am hopeful that I will find them one day in a market at my new home. I'm figuring that no one will be able to fit my size 11 shoes. It's going to suck to have to re-buy my shoes though, but still. I'm hoping to have them back again one day.

Oh stupid me.

On a high note, my host mom bought me a dress. Just because. How stinking cute was that?!? I hugged her for the first time.

I'm thinking they might really like me. I'm glad, because I missed them. Only a few more days left of homestay. And my word. LPI on Wednesday. Not ready.

So not ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment