Sunday, May 5, 2013

Day 9

It rained today like I feel I've never heard rain today. No thunder, just a beating of water against the world. I didn't want to face it, but just stay in the bed all day.

I eventually got out.

Language training is difficult for me. Every time I think I have it, I don't. It's a good group of girls in my group, we are all trying hard. And it will be nice to have so many, five other girls, speaking the same language as me.

We have been told that we are going to have a bonfire tomorrow night. I'm excited for that. Bonfire and beer. Local beer at that. I'm a bit amped!!!

Training today dealt with social norms around gender roles and sex. The culture of men and women here is very different than my understanding of Americas. I say understanding, because although in America we have more gender equality, it doesn't transcend everything.

There is a double standard here about a woman's virginity and purity versus a mans just like back home. The difference here is that a women is meant simply as a mans pleasure tool. He is not concerned with her satisfaction or her needs or desires, but simply with his own. I can't say that this isn't America at all, but I know that I have a choice especially with someone I'm dating. I can speak out about it. But that's just me and my circumstances I suppose.

It's just crazy to be here in this new environment learning about all d these different things and seeing another person's perspective.

Things you think you knew, you have no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment