Friday, May 10, 2013

Day 15

First day of training at satellite and it's official, it's been two weeks.

It's also official that I hope I don't end up sounding like other volunteers who slow down their speech so much they sound like they're talking to retarded chimpanzees.

Maybe that was rude, but that is most definitely the way it seems. Apparently the Ugandan people don't find it rude, but helpful, but I think it sounds ridiculous and I think you can slow down your words without sounding like a jackass.

Just a thought. We got to training half an hour late today. Talked with Paul who I think is going to be someone who really helps me with language. He's Charles' brother and he asked me way more than the host parents combined.

I'm still waiting for that, but I suppose it has only been day one. Which wasn't so bad. She fed me at a decent hour and then was like um... What time do you go to bed and when I said between 9 and 11, but 11 is late, she goes it's 10. Alright then. And off I go.

We got off early today from training and had a beer at the center. I wish I would have had two. That would have been nice. Walked home and everyone loved us. Weirdest thing is that these girls came out of nowhere and called us by name and touched us and all sorts of nonsense. They even knew which name belonged to who. Creep.

Whenever we speak our greetings, people get so excited and laugh or are awestruck. You can see this in their faces.

I love getting the awestruckers.

This place that we are in is beautiful. Absolutely. I love the sky. It's so expansive. Nothing to obstruct the view. I'm just in love with how green everything is and the crazy things that grow on every tree here. I feel like how is anyone malnourished?

I learned the word for potato yesterday an shared it with my host parents, yup had emundi for dinner tonight. Boom.

Asked to help as my host mom said I would be able to do and she instead let me watch her cool cabbage. I'm actually a bit excited for that because I like cabbage.

So their was a construction site in my tiny room today to fix my janked up net and to put a light bulb in the socket. Oh yeah. I was in darkness all day yesterday. That bucket bath was scary!!

Ok so I have light, so now I can see dust in my bed and the colony of ants that decided to make the wall their official landing site has become worse as there are now winged ants in their lineup. Please God. Save me from the ants.

They seem to be ok, except my host mom was like Kathryn you have dirt in your room where in my head I'm like no shit you were just drilling in there amongst other nonsense. I say I can help her, she gives me the nonverbal, just throated unh uh, but I follow her anyways and see that the dirt she's talking about is the colony.

So now I have less ants, well less living moving ants, but I also have a good brigade down on the floor possibly waiting to counterattack. I can't deal with this!!

Let's see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment