Friday, July 26, 2013

Day 92

Had to pick something up at another volunteer's office today. 

Was nervous I was going to be late and then I realized once I had my items and waited at work for over half an hour, that clearly time is not an issue here. 

Had a meeting at one of the 'fancy' hotels here in Mbarara. Still no real burgers. Oh well. I suppose I can make them myself. 

The meeting was so long and drawn out. I swear the people were speaking words, but they weren't saying a thing. With introductions and titles and background about this person and that person, the societal dynamics are just very interesting. 

I was surprised yesterday as someone was speaking and talking about budget cuts and how a certain DHO because his transport wasn't covered he wouldn't attend an event. He apparently asked the coordinator if he was expected to take public transportation where the coordinator then backed this man and said why have him come here and be in bad spirits?

I couldn't believe this. They expect clients to take public transport or walk. Why are you enlarge it? Because we can call you by name by simply letters? It was   disheartening. 

The beautiful part didn't come near the end when another DHO member stood up and said disgrace to the person who said this as if there is money, ok, if not, ten we are still there to serve the people if Uganda. That brought light back into my heart. 

It was just a funny meeting. Very long. Not very informational. Mostly political. Kind of showing face and puffing out chests. I want no part in it. 

The food was good though. Local, but good. Ate chicken, basmati rice, beans af they had green beans with carrots, with BUTTER!!! Oh my lanta. Made me so happy. 

I are my face off. Then came home and warmed up my leftover curry which I made spicier. I know what to do now. I'm excited. Yay!!

Today was not so fun of a day for me though. I was very tired and very irritable. It seemed like everyone was staring at me harder than usual today. Everyone. And the men were gross. I couldn't take it. 

I just wanted to scream! What are you looking at?!? I also want to figure out how to say that it's not very nice to stare. 

I do know how to say you have bad manners. Somewhere. Oh, that reminds me. 

This past Sunday when Nicole (another volunteer) and I were going to eat, an old man grabbed me, hard and I mean rougher than I expected. He was so strong. And old. I was surprised at his strength, but there he was vice gripping my arm and asking me for money. 

I said I didn't have any. He didn't listen. Irepeated  myself. The grip got tighter. I was nervous. 

He eventually left, but it took some doing and some arm bending. For the first time in Uganda I actually felt fearful. 

I didn't like it. At all. 

I'm hoping that was the first and last time. 

Just greet me and get surprised that I know some local language. That's all. I can pass that test. 

Bed. Well some Dexter first, but yes bed. 

Oh and apparently I am spoiling all my things, my ceiling on my verandah, my 'stove' and I need to mop. 

My neighbor girl told me so. 

Getting schooled by a schoolgirl. How embarrassing. 

Sigh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment