Thursday, July 25, 2013

Day 90

It was unexpectedly quiet last night. 

No people noises just the cockroach and the dogs. By lanta those dogs. There are so many of them and I'm not sure who's idea it was, but they have sectioned off a whole goggle of them to be in the puppy choir and boy do they howl. 

The sounds of this place. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to miss them. It is helping me to learn to sleep anywhere and through anything though. I have yet to decide if that's a good or a bad thing.  

I mean my doors here are big enough and loud enough that I'm assuming I would wake up from them opening. I do in the morning. From my neighbors doors. Not mine. 

Went on an outreach today. Of course there was a drunk man. He asked me for money. I flipped my ring. 

Then there was another guy, my age, in a pink shirt. He kept telling me how nice my jumper was and get him one. Give him one. He wants to marry a white because they have so much love. And they have money. Great. 

The culture is so different here. If you have it, then I must have it too. 

So every month without fail I complain about my period. I think it sucks. Hard. Well today I thought I might be bleeding on myself. Asked where the latrine was. 

I stepped in and stepped out. It was the pit latrine I've heard horror stories about where people fall through and either drown in excrement or have to wade in it for hours until they are rescued. I have no desire to do either. 

These latrine covers are made of sticks and mud and dung. You can imagine how the materials can become conpromises after pee splashes on them. It weakens their constitution. And mine. 

On a brighter note, got paid today so I get to cook. Still not on my stove, but at least the food will be warm!!!

Ooh! And I saw a flock if crested cranes today. Like fifteen. Apparently that isn't common. Oh. The crested crane is Uganda's national bird. So pretty. You should google it. 

Rounded up the night walking a mile and having my counterpart force me to cook. It was so late when we got back I had absolutely no desire to. 

I did learn how to cook on a charcoal stove though. Made too much food and!! Ugh my counterpart set the roach free!!! 

She wanted to wash her hands so I told her to go inside. She had asked earlier where my dishes bucket was and I said inside and that we can't use it right now because there is a roach trapped. I told her this so she didn't accidentally move the bucket and lid and let him out. 

She acted all surprised and then after washing her hands she told me how she purposely set it free. Oh an how she lost it. What the hell?!? I wanted to cry. 

Luckily we found it. She smoothed it in my broom. The broom stayed in the kitchen that night. 

So did the prison lid. 

So tired. Day off tomorrow. I will sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment