Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Day 56

Had a presentation on HIV/AIDS today. I'm not sure what I thought, but the group we dealt with was entirely knowledgeable and were teaching me things. I loved the active engagement of the group.

It was actually community educators with some of them being positive. The stories you heard about people passing to their children or their partners being aware of their positive status and not disclosing and even women who were the wives(yes multiple) of men, but having discordancy. Apparently discordant couples are a big thing here.

It made me sad because I talked to two women at the end and the one woman was one of three wives where they all were positive, but apparently the man was negative. Craziest thing is that they claim to have gone for couples testing. So she's actually seen the test performed not just relying on his self disclosure.

Moses, a language trainer said that it I common here and that research is being done because the explanation that so many men are just entirely lucky is not only not satisfying, but they think there is something behind it.

I'm interested to get my hands on such research. Made me feel ill equipped to know that there was info on HIV/AIDS that I didn't have some type of understanding about. Not that I'm going to know everything, but I sometimes like to think that I can.

Our PCV tour guide stayed the night last night and helped to put so many things into perspective for me and also give me hope.

I'm scared, but I think for all the right reasons when it comes to my relationship. I'm just grateful to have had this outlet and to be understood even if for one thing, that reflection made me feel comforted.

We've decided it would be much better if she stayed another year.

Wishful thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment