Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Day 55

Today I experienced one of the most beautifully scary things today.

We started field work and had to create a presentation on water sanitation and provide info on proper rubbish disposal and pit latrine maintenance.

We went far, like an hours ride on dirt back roads with no markers making me wonder how we didn't pass the place to begin with.

When we arrived, there was a crowd of people waiting to greet us. They began singing and dancing and at first I was terrified that there were so many people and the fear of participation (I can't dance worth a lick), and just having it be so overwhelming, it scared me at first, but then I got over myself and I saw these people so grateful for education and just having people take time out for them tht they were willing to expend exorbitant amounts of energy in the bleating angry sun. It was remarkable.

This went on for at least half an hour and to feel so welcomed like that I wanted to just bawl my eyes out. The tears were in my eyes, I just couldn't let them out.

It was amazing to be apart of that.

It makes me feel like being here is going to amount to something, even if it is just gratitude.

They even cooked for us. Chicken at that. Chicken is expensive, so I felt horrible when I had. Hard time swallowing it down although the Mountain Dew they provide did help.

Today was just awe inspiring. This community was so motivated an dedicated and committed to one another. It felt amazing to be a part of them.

I'm nervous for my presentation tomorrow that it won't compare.

Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment