Saturday, October 12, 2013

Day 131


Monday September 2nd, 2013

We are in September baby!! So so so excited!! We are in the ERs!!

I'm going home for Christmas because I'm spoiled! I'm so happy. I get to see my family and my fiancé. My good gol'. I still can't believe that I'm engaged. All I know is that there are only three more months until I can come home. So excited. Now to book.

So I bought an electric kettle the other day, but it was taking me forever to get around and wash it so I could actually use it. I used it today for the first time and holy why did I take so long to make this purchase?! I'm in water heaven! I don't have to worry about boiling water anymore! I only have to worry about the electricity being out, which it actually often is. Right, but still. This thing is AWESOME!! Such a good purchase. Minus the fact that it is entirely plastic.

I swear. Peace Corps is going to end up doing a study to determine long terms effects of daily aluminum and plastic exposure. From our aluminum pots and constant plastic use and inhalation of burning bags and bottles. Yeah. This two years is going to be hell on my health.

Doesn't at all help that I smoke, but I decided that either way due to the pollution that my boogers would still be black. Damn pollution.

So today I also decided that with the help of that other volunteer that we are doing a World AIDS Day event and that it will be a 5k marathon with activity fair here in Mbarara!! I'm so so so very excited! Nervous, but excited. I want to also tell our executive director to see what he says and see if we can swindle money. Let's see.

So it's decided. I asked back home for packages of junk that would be awesome prizes, plus I really just want bubbles. Lets see what comes. 

So beyond my excitement and decision making today, my counterpart informed me that I would be giving talks at schools. Fine. That's fine. 

My issue came in when she told me that I had to talk to an all girls school about the dangers of lesbianism. I'm sorry. What? When she told me that, my heart started beating like crazy, my cheeks flushed, as my ears grew gradually warm as if I was a cartoon character. I didn't know what to say. 

Completely at a loss for words. Nearly started crying after that. I just can't. I don't feel at all comfortable with that. 

I've decided that I can't do it. I won't do it. Bottom line. The way that people think here scares me. A lot. 



No comments:

Post a Comment