Friday, October 4, 2013

Day 117

Monday August 19 2013

Back to Monday. 

Day two of before and after pics. I have no butt. Thank you mom. 

I also have been looking at wedding themes and colors for nearly three hours this morning before work. I think I have a problem. 

As a result I was late to work. As usual.


As I walk in I have ideas about World AIDS Day and that we need to sit down and discuss them, my counterpart and I. She doesn't seem concerned. Apparently we just join up with what the District Health Office is doing, which I don't understand because we are too big of an organization called the AIDS Information Center, so why are we not having our own event for World AIDS Day? Make that clear to me.

Whatever. Instead of letting me know anything and deciding we can talk she begins to laugh as she's telling me that to fulfill a grant we need to hit 15,000 people before the end of December. Oh really? And just how do you propose we do that? She says she wants to go to the schools. I suggest that we start working on that now and asking the headmasters to set us up on their program. She thinks that's great. She is also sending me on an outreach today to get numbers. Ok, so then compile a list for me of schools in the area that you want to talk to and from there we can start talking to them.

Nope. Apparently you need me there to do that even though I explained that I will be of no service as I don't know any of the schools in the area but one that I went to during my future site visit. Gheezeus. Please just do something. Make the list. Please. God. Please.

So I'm sent out on this outreach where I was informed that I would be leading dialogues all in local language. I'm sorry? You say more than five words to me and I'm lost. If it's not a greeting aka small talk, then I can't do it. Not at all. They had utmost faith in me that I could though which was sweet. Discouraging, but sweet nonetheless.

So we start off on an unorganized outreach, one of those, we don't have a plan, but just go out there and start talking to people outreach. Worse part is that it's hot as balls and we are on foot. Fuckers. So the first place we stop I think I'm going to hit someone as one of the rude ssebos waved a dildo in my face and made jerking off gestures while telling me in broken english that,"this is how you do it." Oh is it? Is that how I fuck you? Oh whoops. Fuck you. That's better.

I think my favorite part of this rude guy was that my guys did nothing and then when I told them that he was rude, they told me that we need those people so we can't tell them they are rude. You're kidding me right?

Next place we go there are women who are sweet. I liked them. They only issue I have with the dialogues is that they are all in local language so I try to listen and translate for some time and then halfway through I zone out.

Essentially today was a waste of time and manpower. I nearly passed out from the heat and when the guy at one of the last dialogues asked me for my contacts and where I lived and all these other things and how he liked my style and blah blah blah I almost let the bitch out. Thankfully she was hot and too tired to rear her head.

The best part about today is that I kindly declined obusheera which I don't at all like, but before that I got to see beef stew. Now my friends. Do not be confused at it's name. We came to our last dialogue of the morning before lunch and it was guys smoking weed and what not and some guy walks past me and gives a hello. I'm half acknowledging him, mostly not though until I see he is carrying something.

When I look closer I realize there are hooves. This man is carrying cow legs. Plural. Multiple legs of multiple cows. What the hey. So I am paying full attention to him now. I watch where he goes and what he's doing and I see him drop this pile of legs into an already existing pile of legs. What is going on here?

So the outreach is done, but I tell my coworker that I want to take a picture of the cow legs. He takes me over this makeshift bridge that the Ugandans laugh at me for being fearful of and on the other side, I come across the pile. The pile of legs. I'm also watching the man who laughed at me about the bridge and he is picking up the legs, putting them in boiling water and then taking them out and using a knife on them to scrape off the hair. Yuck.

There is another pile of legs and after I capture the first and the man scraping with my phone I go to the second pile just because. Oh how I wish I hadn't. So there were legs in this pile, but instead of just legs, the pile also consisted of face of cow, everything minus the eyes and brains. I saw cow cheek, cow tongue, cow teeth which just look like tissue, cow tongue, cow nose, cow lips. Cow yuck.

I got down to take that picture and then my ssebo became upset and told me that I needed to give him money. I later found out that because I'm mzungu and they think I have money, I should have given him money to take those pictures.

If only he knew just how much of a poor girl I was.

Got my pictures though. For free! What?! What?!

No comments:

Post a Comment