Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Day 152

Monday September 23rd, 2013

My guest left today with a bit of a push from me. I had to be up and out of the house by 7:30 to be at a high school by 8/8:30. 

It was the most nerve wracking thing. There were over a thousand students and I had to do a five minute sensitization on HIV/AIDS. I also had to get clearance from the headmaster to talk about sex and condoms. 

I messed up a little, caught up in what i was saying, but the nice thing is that I got the kids to be a bit interactive. I then was later told that few people understood me because of my accent. 

Whoops. 

So while I was giving my presentation my counterpart wanted to take pictures. Ooh I had to delete so many things. And as I was deleting my counterpart was over my shoulder looking at every little thing. Now I know you're curious, but please, before I get killed. 

After the high school musical bit, my program manager for Peace Corps came to visit. It was so nice to see her. My counterpart wasn't around to meet with her so it was just me, my PM, and my supervisor. 

My PM invited me out to have dinner with the global health volunteers and for me it was a mistake. 

I don't really feel like I belong when I'm with them. It's an unsettling feeling. I'm foreign, they are foreign and yet we couldn't be more different. The one lady complains or rather states that they never see me, that I'm never around, but then I'm not invited to anything and they go everywhere!!

We also live very different lives under this Peace Corps title. They have hot water. For their kitchen sinks!!! What?!? And huge places. To themselves. AND they have bathtubs!!! Bathtubs!!! What the hey? 

When I hear them complain in wondering about what. They all live with other mzungus and don't have to leave their compound if they don't want. Our lives are just different. 

And so I felt to hurry and leave that dinner. That and it wasn't too tasty. 

It probably didn't help that today is the day that I decided to quit smoking. Stupid quitter attitude in me. 

So I was happy when I got driven home. The joys of being in with PC. 


No comments:

Post a Comment