Monday, November 18, 2013

Day 149

Friday September 20th, 2013

Went to a health fair with my work where we were doing testing and counseling. There wasn't a flow of where patients should go or the order in which they should visit partner booths or a way in which blood would be taken, results would be given. It was a headless chicken shit show. 

They asked me to help. I felt a little lost. As I began to make suggestions, not only was I ignored, but I was completely ignored as if I wasn't speaking at all. Wel then. Ok. 

They asked me if I could do counseling. No not in local language, but English yes. We are at a local university, most students have a good grasp of English. I can do this. I ask where I can go/help and I get shut down again. 

At this point I find myself isolated in the shade, not under the counseling tent with my coworkers and I only feel slightly bad about the segregation. Slightly. 

The only good part was that I was able to smash some dreams in which Neely every singly Ugandan thinks that America is just like you see in the movies aka big with cities, no trees, and everyone is rich. 

If only that was America. 

I was so over not being able to help or looked at like I could be helpful that when some other volunteers told me how they were in town, I most definitely got up and walked the half mile to where they were. No worries boys. Oh and it's three thirty. No. I'm not coming back inconsiderate coworker. 

Think I'm going to make myself a schedule today for structure. It's needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment