Saturday, November 16, 2013

Day 133

Wednesday September 4, 2013

Back on the road again. I swear it feels like I live in Kampala and not Mbarara and I won't be back at site for something like two weeks. I'm not sure if I packed properly for all of this time away.

Today is the day that I have decided that I absolutely hate public transportation. Absolutely. When I got on the bus there was a free spot all the way in the back of the bus and  so I asked if anyone was sitting there. I was told no, but maybe I wasn't understood.

I'm sitting and here comes this big man who looks at me stands there in front of me and points to the open seat next to the one I'm currently sitting in. 

Worst part, like a punk, I move over. I find myself now seated in the crack of two seats because that then allows me to have a full seat to myself with space on either side of me since those other seats are occupied by the big man and another man who I'm fearing to catch something from. Yes. That is the shallow judge metal part of me. 

His skin was really bad. I was nervous. I didn't show it though. So the shallow was concealed. 

So this bus ride is miserable at it is hard to seat your crack in a crack and my luggage didn't help. Stupid public transportation. 

So I the moment I decided I hated public transportation wasn't when the big man decided to use me as a personal rest for his items, not when he decided to cough, cough, cough with no covering of his nasty germs. Nope. The moment came when the big man dug into his nose, I swear there were diamonds in there, brought something to the surface and wiped it on the chair seated directly in front of me. 

As I turned my head in disgust, Mr. Expose My Shallow was also engaged in a mining experience. And that was when it was decided that I can not wait to get back to America to drive my own car with people that I select to ride in it. 

Holy gross.

Yup. So that's how that was decided.

Anyways. Made it into Kampala. Finally and also with not a touch of booger on me. I was quite meticulous as I made my way out of that seating arrangement though. The shivers that just went through me...

Anyways. Made it, didn't need to go to Peace Corps office, which was nice so I made it to my accommodations and then called a Ugandan friend to meet me for some food and drinks. I forget though that I need to be careful with that because in Uganda you don't invite someone to share their company, when you invite someone out, it is to pay for their good time. I don't have the funds to be paying for other people's good times. I can barely afford my own.

Anyways, I manage to google map the location of this restaurant that I hear has pretty awesome burgers. Let me tell you, they don't, although their fries with mayo were to die for!! Thick cut potato wedges with zingy mayo. Felt like I was in Belgium. May be time to go back to Europe.

So I'm walking to this restaurant and wouldn't you know that my janky leg would come from underneath me and yup, there I am, one moment crossing the street, the next I'm down. In the street. How this happens? Not quite sure. Worst part. Oh right, there is the grate of truck six inches from the side of my face, not to mention I'm pretty sure my pride was stuck somewhere in it.

Overall I have to say that it was a good trip to Kampala.

Bailed on a birthday party that my friend invited me to because I just couldn't be bothered. I'm tired too much. Always tired. So I fell asleep and could barely wake up.

Also met this girl who kind of scares me. The way she smokes makes me fear for my lungs. The sucking. The teeth. The inhale of the air.

Yeah... I think she needs to quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment