Monday, November 18, 2013

Day 143

Saturday September 14th, 2013

Lazy day. I like it. Didn't do much.

Did try to go see a movie. That turned into an adventure. Locked my teammate in the room on account of I'm crazy. So I took the room key with me as I was headed out to the movies and instead of leaving the door open and just taking the key with me I took the key and locked a poor sleeping girl in the room. Yup. Locked her in good.

Another thing I'm really good at is leaving my phone on vibrate only and then not paying attention to it. Either my phone is attached to my fingertips or it is completely lost in a black abyss that I develop some irrational fear of and so it just stays there. This day I had a mix of both. Fingertips to black abyss.

Luckily the locked in girl found herself locked in just as I was headed down the steps and just as my phone was coming out of the black abyss and back into my fingertips I received a call. Again, luck was on her side, because if I had missed the call I wouldn't have been able to call her back as I do not keep my phone littered with airtime, I just kind of keep it there. If people want to call me they can. If they want to text, I hope they don't want a response because I can't respond as that also requires airtime.

So I realize I locked her in, walk the keys back up to her and then head back on my way to the movies that we are now going to be late to. It isn't until we have passed the one part of the shopping center and are walking into the next that I realize that we are walking to the wrong center. We walk all the way up there anyways as both have theaters. Unfortunately, when we look, it doesn't list the movie we want to see. So we walk the five minutes to the other theatre, now sure that we are missing it as I've heard there are no previews.

Well we walk there and our movie is listed, except when we go to pay for the ticket, the attendant informs us that the movie actually isn't playing at this theatre, but at the sister theatre we just came from.

You're kidding me right? We tried to flash our mzungu card and see if they would start the movie over for us if we walked back, the attendant told us it would mess up the schedule as she informed another patron of a push back of times for another show.

Needless to say it was time to get something to eat at that point. Instead, we found something to drink. Lemon ginger tea that had enough ginger to feed all of India. My mouth was on fire and because I no longer live in America and customer service is a bit different, I wasn't offered my money back or anything new off the menu, but simply some sugar to help take off the edge. Then water. When I left my drink nearly all the way full I also was well received with multiple stink eyes.

Hence, I did not tip.

The night ended better, with me and a few other people heading out, drinking, dancing, late night food runs. It felt like America, but it wasn't. Overall I would have to say it was a successful day.

If only tomorrow can be as successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment