Friday, February 7, 2014

Day 288

Thursday February 6, 2014

And we've begun out travel to Kampala, the first leg of our trip to our safari. 

The excitement!!

Melinda hates the buses. We didn't get jipped on the way to catch the bus though which was nice. 

The ride. Not so nice. 

Having a fresh person come makes me very aware of all the things I've gotten used to that maybe aren't not normal, as obviously they are here, but that aren't ok, in terms of safety. 

It makes me a little sad. The way a creature becomes complacent with their circumstances, believing that change can't be made, even if it is just in ones own world. 

I'm not sure how to make it happen, but slowly by slowly. We will see. 

So we finally made it and by golly that wa my eat trip through Kampala yet. I haven't decided if it was because it actually was somewhat less crazy busy or if having Melinda with me causes extra confidence in everything I do so everything seems better. 

Got in and ate a couple croissants. Chocolate filled. The few luxuries of coming to the big city. Big city food tailored to the tastes of outsiders. Yum. 

Went for a burger. Mistake. 

I wish I opted for the pasta. 

It also doesn't help much tht I have started mefloquine again and the pill I took is giving me what I can only imagine to r as heartburn except its lasting for several days. I'm not sure that's supposed to happen. 

Met up with the rest of the crew. Saw another volunteer eat a stranger volunteer's left over ice cream goop. I thought I was gonna barf. 

Then on to our accommodations. It was quite nice. Expensive, but nice. 

Chicken curry served with chips instead of rice. This was not by request. Made me wish they accidentally substituted mashed potatoes instead. 

Holy heaven on Earth. 

Early lights out, because in Uganda, that's life. 

Our safari vehicle also leaves at 7:30 tomorrow morning. 

Which makes me nervous because these beds suck. I need more sheet for my mattress. 

Oh well. Back to the days of the womb. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment