Sunday, August 11, 2013

Day 100

Police officers and the youth. What a combo. Maybe that's why it ended in a shit show. 

Had planned to meet with the head of the Youth For Change group today, but first I was to go to the outreach we set up earlier in the week. 

Can I tell you that when we arrived we not only arrived late, but no one was prepared for us. No one was there period. 

We say around, set up. I read. I also fell asleep and it was a bit cold today so I say in the car where I proceeded to falls asleep with my book in my hand. 

I then came back to office. Ate and prepared for my meeting with Louis. Just as I'm to be dropped off Louis calls and pushes the meeting back an hour. 

Our AIC driver then drops something back off at the outreach site where I now have to stay because he need to run an errand. I tell him what time the meeting was pushed to. Yeah yeah. He'll be back he says. No time. Ok. Fine because I feel worthless here. 

Was attempted to be fed again, but thankfully I was able to advert such stuffing. 

I was instead enlisted to help with testing. Not the actual testing itself, but logistics, which I was not unhappy about. I felt like I was going something which made me happy. 

As a side note, I have decided it is my two year mission to return to America with a police fatigue and a pair of their combat boots. So on. 

Back to testing. I was able to talk with the officers. See the need. Use a little Ruyankore, things were good. Then I started helping with the tests. 

Here's your cotton swab, here's your cotton swab. 

Then the wind. Not only is everyone's test out for everyone to see, but the wind is also blowing to blow everyone's test about for all sorts of cross contamination. 

Ew. 

One blew my way that was a positive. Can we scream biohazard? Just saying. And we have some confidentiality issues. 

I want to set them up with voting screens. Yeah. That would work. Somehow. 

It was crazy scary and sad because I had never seen so many positives at once. There were three in my face on one card that holds maybe ten to fifteen samples. Three out of ten?

And everyone's face looked the same. No one fell out. Unless you were the tester or giving results or close enough to hear the session you would have no idea that this person was just told that yet had HIV.

That scared me. That kind of numbness to emotions. 

Things are different here. Everyday  learning. And even though I may not always like what I find or what is brought to me, I am grateful for the experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment