Monday, June 18, 2012

Frnckcudfivkvuslbvi

Yesterday I found myself in a place I hadn't been in quite some time. I found myself in church and not just any church, I was surrounded by Episcopalians. People caught the holy ghost, found themselves speaking in tongues, and the tears were more than overflowing.

I hadn't experienced anything like it in a long while. I realized that this was all foreign to me and that if I were completely removed, coming from a more distant cultural understanding, I would have been frightened at the spectacle at hand.

The music with its deafening command to attention and the following of the congregation, the moans and exclamations produced from a guttural existence within these people. It was overwhelming to say the least and all consuming.

All I know is that I was frightened and I found myself in a place of blasphemy questioning God in the presence of all these believers.

Being around this made me question deeply existentially and the purpose of religion and I just couldn't shut my brain off. The pastor was overly concerned with money proclaiming that the only thing one poor man could do for another was to feel sorry for him. What?! Have you read the bible? Did you know it said you can not serve two masters? Aka don't make money your master. Plus I'm pretty sure the poor men could pray together. Isn't that what religion is truly about, the conversation and dialogue you have with God?

Excuse me for being confused and befuddled, but I refuse to believe your interpretation of the word because another man guided you to walk this way. I shall walk the way I was made to by whom I was made and I can not be force fed your biblical ideations. You are just a man and I do not answer to you.

So yes, I am scared of the cult like air that I encountered because you are sheep and despite the tinge of jealousy for your blind following, I would much rather see the way and trust my Lord than trust a man to know which turn to make.

That's just me though.

No comments:

Post a Comment